- Circumcision only slightly reduces the risk of infant UTI’s. The risk of UTI’s in boys is so low anyway that the reduction isn’t significant to warrant the procedure.
- Circumcision only slightly reduces the risk of penile cancers in men. The risk of this cancer in men is so low anyway that the reduction isn’t significant to warrant the procedure.
- While circumcision has been shown to help prevent transmission of STD’s. I do not feel that a procedure at birth is the solution. The BEST prevention is education on safe sex and abstinence. So if I do my job as a parent and teach my boy about keeping his junk in his pants and wearing a condom when it’s out, then there is no need to cut a chunk of him off. I mean come on we wouldn’t pull all of our kids’ teeth to prevent cavities, would we? Nope. We teach them good oral hygiene!
- As for a circumcise penis being cleaner than one that is not, well um a penis is no different than any other part of a boy’s body. It must be washed. Just like I can teach him to wash between his toes and behind his ears, I can teach him how to properly clean his penis and under the foreskin.
- Circumcision is a very traumatic procedure for babies. Some doctors don’t even bother using anesthetic, because it doesn’t really work, or it takes too long, or they are too young to remember it. WTH? Would you willingly allow one of the most sensitive parts of your body to be cut off fully awake without anesthetic? I know I wouldn’t. So I sure as hell am not going to do that to my baby.
- Even if a doctor was willing to use anesthetic, the area is still painful for several days while it heals. I wouldn’t be able to look at it knowing that I was the reason my perfectly innocent little baby was hurting. I don’t want to hand my baby over to daddy so he can deal with it either.
- I don’t think that there will be an issue with looking different. I mean the ratio of circumcision to intact is nearly 50/50 now. Even if he does run into problems in the locker room earlier. I plan to empower my son to stand up for himself, just like I have his sisters. I am sure there is a witty come back he could throw out.
- I don’t want to be responsible for a reduction in his future sexual pleasure. I mean honestly if he is angry that I didn’t get it done, then he can willingly get the procedure done, where they will put him under general anesthesia and give him pain medicine afterwards. Most of all it will be HIS choice!
- The Academy of Pediatrics, does not recommend circumcision to be done as a routine procedure.
So after, receiving a ton of backlash from friends about how I should just get it done. I decided to drop the subject and send my husband an e-mail with a ton of information about the PROs and CONs and asked him to keep an open mind and to look at all the information before making a decision. After reading all the facts, he came to the same conclusion I did… What’s the point of doing it? So I am very relieved that our baby boy will be coming home from the hospital exactly the way NATURE intended him to be.
This is what little man thinks of our decision: